Changes for Grade 1 Transportation Next Year
Grade 1 Transportation for the 2016-2017 School Year
Regina Public Schools, effective with the 2016-17 school year, will be changing its transportation procedures for Grade 1 students. You will have been contacted directly by letter if this change applies to your family. If you did not receive a letter, but think this applies to you, please contact your school principal.
Here are some of the details of the changes, for your information. Starting with the 2016-17 school year, only Grade 1 students who reside or whose caregivers reside more than 1,200 metres from their designated school will be eligible for transportation. This is a change from previous years where the distance from school requirement was 600 metres.
Transportation eligibility is based on Regina Public Schools Administrative Procedure and guidelines, as outlined below:
- Eligibility for Regular Program transportation includes the following:
- Students must reside inside the transportation services area for the designated school,
- Students must be enrolled and attending their designated school,
- Kindergarten students who reside 0.6 km or farther from the designated elementary school are eligible for transportation,
- Other elementary school students who reside 1.2 km or farther from the designated elementary school are eligible for transportation.
Please be aware, however, that students may be eligible for an exception for transportation based on the guidelines listed below.
- Exceptions may be permitted on Regular Program school buses but not on Regular Program light vehicle transportation (cabs, vans),
- Exceptions may be permitted for students attending their designated school only if,
- The existing stop is more than 1,000 metres from the designated school,
- The student walks to an existing stop and there is room available on the school bus, and
- The student is in grade 1 to grade 5.
Exceptions will only be granted if doing so will not affect the safety, economy or efficiency of the transportation service.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact your principal. For a list off all schools, follow this link.